Monday, September 9, 2013

Running Free: Mtns again!

Faithful followers:  Just another update to keep your dreams fresh...

Last week was a departure from all the street hustling I've been doing at 4:00 a.m. these days.  I labored the holiday weekend away on the farm and painting the house a bit before busting out of the civilized mundane for several runs in the wild lands of the NW.

Monday I made it up to Whetstone Mtn in the Old Cascades (Bull of the Woods/Opal Creek Wildnerness).  It was a 14 mile jaunt with 3600' ascent/descent.  Perfect temps and good company, William Swint and Mike B of Aumsville, made for a nice outing.  Got some views of a 30+ mile run along a beatiful line that loops out to Battle Axe Mtn.  We've made plans to give this a go in October.

Then I drove out to do some real mtn stuff in McCall, ID.  On Wednesday I was ridin high above 8000' scrunbling across the Idaho skies on the summit of Jughandle Mtn. with KT and Pete the Dog.  Thursday we opted for the flat 20 Mile Trail out of Upper Payette Lake before continuing up the road for a soak in Bergdorf Hot Springs.  Friday I went alone for a 20 mile run that left the lake just outside town and connected to the Crestline Trail which rides several ridges between mtn lakes galore.  The views were awesome!  Nice cool temps, especially up above 7000' (which was all but about 4 miles of the run).  Saturday we ran the farm roads out to the Payette River for a little shake out before we headed home again.

To stoke the fire some more I also drank a shitload of Pabst, tequila and mescal.  It was vacation: excess! excess! excess!

Nice to be out in nature.  I am feeling great and refreshed.  Fired up a track workout this morning and hoping to keep the momentum going with more outings into beautiful new places as we move into Fall (my training-year Spring).  Really going to stress the volume (long runs) and climbing without pushing things too much.  If I can't do it again the next day, I am not going to do it.  That should get me ready for this winter's goal: the 68+ mile Backbone Trail across the Santa Monica Mtns in good time.

Dream mediocre and it's easier to acheive!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment