Monday, August 19, 2013

Mac's Beautiful and Brutal

Went down to Mac Forest yesterday and dammit that place is really brutal.

Seldom do I go there alone but when I do I always try and link up a bunch of my favorite sections which actually make a pretty asthetically logical line up and down various ridges and hillsides.  Up the Ridge across to Dimple on almost all single track for the view there.  Bomb off the backside of Dimple and down into Oak Creek for some good turnover before jamming up S. Side Slip to McColluch Peak's amazing viewpoint.  Then it's another long speedy descent to Soap Creek TH before making my way back up to the Pass.  Sounds good?  Well it is... and it isn't.

The run is naturally beautiful and it's physically taxing, a combination I've grown to love, but at some point on every solo jaunt in the Mac I get a feeling like I am a bit lost and beat down.  Yesterday was no exception.  I wonder if the pauses to stop and figure out where I am and where I am going create this feeling of weakness.  Or if all my focus on uphill running has left my descending wheels (quads) a bit unprepared for those long descents?

Just a couple observations from my first long (timewise) run with the new fall/winter goals on my sites (post Hillclimb).  I've got some work cut out for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment