Saturday, February 11, 2012

KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid

In yesterday's post I took a brief tangent and touched on running's accessibility and simplicity before declaring it "another topic" for another day.


Coincidentally, while I babbled about why I am growing to be a lone wolf runner the esteemed AJW took on my tangent subject of "simplicity of running" in his weekly Taproom post entitled "Essential Paradox". He questions the simplicity of long distance trail running and the responses to his article were interesting to read.


The bottom line for me is: Just like anything else out there in our modern society running can be made complicated but it's not required. In other activities like climbing, biking, etc. that are much more gear dependent all these complicated doodads are a necessity to safely move up or faster or whatever.

Yes, there are a lot of shoes and gizmos to choose from as a runner but not compared to most other activities in the outdoors. Don't let get started on a list of gear required for an aid climber or a tri-athlete...


I don't blame companies big and small for looking at the long distance trail runner and seeing an opportunity to make some $$$$. Almost every modern soul (especially Europeans for some reason I can't pinpoint) has developed a knack for comfort and the latest tech and most of us are no exception to this. But if this:
becomes the norm... I am sure there will be a great "push back" down the line. People have been running with out all this crap for a very long time. And is complicated gear making all this easier? one could easily argue yes it is easier. But arguing that it is therefore better? I doubt the quality of the experience is much different.




Keep It Simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment