Monday, February 13, 2012

Couch to 5K : 5K to 50K

I've never run any distance over 5k as a part of a competitive or organized event apart from a scramble I did last summer. So when I announced in my christmas card last year that I was finally recovering from a back injury and going to start "training" for a hilly 50k some people laughed and some people worried. The laughing was inspiring, but I don't know what all the worrying was about. Skeptics seemed to think it was a lofty goal and that I would kill myself if I tried too hard to accomplish it.



With programs like "couch to 5k" out there I can see why it may look lofty as a goal. Seriously, there's a program (that people PAY for?!) to train for a 3 mile and change race? Just get up--you don't even have to put down the remote--and go for it. Unless you are way obese you'll be fine. You might even like it!



With 6-7 weeks of decent training (no set regimen, just a balance of quantity and quality running and short daily runs with a long one on the weekend) I feel like the goal is attainable without a doubt. Completing 16+ miles on a treachorous hilly trail and 14.5 miles of hilly pavement on the past couple weekends has left me feeling better than ever. Long runs have begun to serve as a great mental piece of my poorly structured training. Confidence and knowledge is born out of these jaunts.



The people who laughed are starting to take me a little more serious too!


89 days to go until Mac Forest 50k!

No comments:

Post a Comment