Monday, April 14, 2014

wah wah wah

rearrangin' the mix a bit so I thought I'd update all my imaginary fanbase.

running regularly for lots of reasons has been tough for me lately.  I felt crappy after all the time off in February.  Things just hurt and my lungs where all beat up after dying nightly of TB like cough fits (no blood from the mouth, just the nose).  I know, I am still complaining about a cold in February... lame.  but it seriously left a little trauma mark on me.

then things started to come around a little about the same time that it stopped snowing and being shitty/winter back east.  what's the weather back east got to do with my running in Oregon?  the relationship is indirect but nice weather means Spring and Spring means harvest at the nursery.  we run around like chickens with our heads cut off for 13hrs a day, 6 days a week and load plants into semis and send them to a garden center near you.  it's a harvest, if you're over 50 or 60 maybe you've been a part of one, there's no way to describe it's intensity.

this harvest just wipes me out.  I leave early and get home late.  I barely have time to eat.  running gets lackluster and seems like a forced drill rather than a hobby.  so I skip it.

anyway harvest seems to be in a bit of a lull and work's still crazy but I am feeling a resurgence of energy coming on.  I am ready to put together a solid block of training like I did last fall.

the Mac looms large being only 4 weeks out.  I was digging and digging for an excuse to just go "have fun".  you know classify it under "b-race" or "training run" status.  I was desperate for a reason to not have to race the thing but I didn't have any newbie friends to run it with or that uncle with cancer whose dying goal was finish a 50k that I could heroically walk the thing with.

until today.

I found a late June 50k and now the Mac is a long run.  whew.  can you feel the stress lifted from these quads and lungs?  I am excited about the 50k as it's in Smith Rock, one of my favorite parts of God's country, and it's got vert but not overkill.  awesome.  I am going to work hard for that gig, relax a week or so, and then wage a training block like non other (no ridiculous mileage-just a bunch of hard work) before the MacKenzie River 50k (did you hear that lottery gods?  the promise of sacrifice?!)

yeehaw super-fans.  summer's gonna be hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment