Monday, April 28, 2014

no Mac River 50k

Despite my promises of daily sacrificial leg beatings to the lotto gods--and 60/40 odds--the MacKenzie River 50k and I are not going to be getting together this year.  I've generally opposed entering lotteries for races as my train of thought has been "why?  when there are so many other races out there..."  And, I am not an especially lucky person when it comes to drawings.

Too bad, I think the course and I could have made a great pair.  It would have helped me to run a slightly more gentle and speedy 50k as I prepare for my potential goal of 3:30 at Autumn Leaves 50k.  I'll just find something else to do that month, perhaps Bunker to Bonneville 50k on Aug. 30.  That's the race I took my first and only DNS on due to a bad knee injury.

Mac training is pretty mediocre but I feel like I am progressing well with respect to mid-June's 50k race.  The daily ritual runs remain and it's been wonderful having Mike Studer along for the early departure (I leave around 4:15 most weekdays and he's the only one out there that would consider at start that early).  Track was tough and hills are something I can almost always use more of in my diet though I certainly got my share of hills on yesterday's adventure along the Elk/King Mtn. Traverse with Don G.  We were floored after all the steep climbing (~6000') and quick descents even though it was only about 13 miles traveled.  I spent the afternoon eating, avoiding stairs and applying a heavy doses of wine to numb the pain. 

Despite the fact that the Mac is only one week out I think I will try and pull off a decently long run this coming weekend.  Probably just do the Zena route to home thing with a few faster miles towards the end unless something better comes up.

End boring Monday training post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment