Monday, June 16, 2014

Smith Rock: Jogging with Cattle

Here we go...  time for another stream-of-conscious run-on race report.

Pre-race:

Training overview: less mileage, more speed.  Not much at all in the way of long hilly affairs.  Think more of a classic 10k program.

Friday, I did payroll and fired off an availability update in record time, all while stamping out the usual fires that come with the workday morning.  I had one one goal on my mind:  be outta there by 1:00 and on my way to Smith Rock for the Smith Rock Ascent 50k the following morning.  At 12:59 I rolled off the farm and aimed east.  I made a few stops--one for gas, one for a sandwich, and one for dinner/breakfast fixings--but still made it in good time to the scene of my lonesome one man camp on the edge of the state park.  Kattie was working up at Soter Vineyard's on Saturday and Pete the Dog was at home protecting the house--a job he's hopelessly not suited for (no, tail wagging is not a sign of fierceness) but pretty passionate about no less.

Shortly after I arrived I jogged out to Burma Rd. which was the first mile or 2 of the course.  I did a few hill repeats while out there and then headed back.  I had a couple Banquets and a couple PB&Js (what can I say I didn't feel like cooking) while runner types began to pour in by the Subaru full.  It was a different scene in the Climber's Bivvy with all these runners doing there "runner" things:  you know, eating healthy looking foods and gawking at the calves and quad sizes of one another.  Usually, this dusty lot that I know quite well from my climbing days is just a handful of broke ass climbers eating meager portions of shitty food and drinking really crap beer.  Maybe a couple of semi-well-to-do foreigners pouring over guidebooks and talking about God knows what.  And typically no one's looking at anyone's legs or shoes, just their loads of spendy climbing gear and tattered weather-worn garbs.

I was getting tired and headed to the tent for some sleep.  Rest came easy despite some gigglebots (teenage girls) having a slumber party in a tent 25' away (in the quiet zone!).  Some quality, boring, non-fiction set the mood and I was out with the sunlight.  I awoke well before the alarm thanks to my bowels which were getting extra aggressive.  So, I quickly got up and commenced what would be an interesting, almost frightening, assault on toilets around the park.  Sorry everyone who was there, that was probably me!  This gut biz carried on until right before the race which left me wondering... what I am I going to burn as fuel now that the gas light's back on?

Finally, enough poop stories (can anyone actually get enough of that subject?!) and on to the race:

We were off shortly after 8:00 and dashing through the park.  One gutsy dude (with a gutsy beard!) just bolted the first mile but was drawn back in on the climb up Burma Rd. that led us up to the desert/high prairie that would be the setting of the race.  I was quickly in 3rd place and spent the first 15 or so miles there, sometimes close to 2nd and sometimes a little further back.  I knew the pace was a bit quick for a 50k with some challenges in the last 10 miles but I was having trouble holding it back.  It just felt so easy drifting along those plains with a pretty nice trail and stunning, if not downright distracting, views of surrounding farmland below and snowcapped Cascade peaks on the horizon.

Around mile 15 the once leader (through mile 10) then 2nd place dude let me cruise by.  It wasn't much later and I heard a loud rustle in the sage and juniper to my left.  3 or 4 giant cows came rumbling to life, got on the trail in front of me and began to run at a clip I was unaware that cows could sustain for a 1/2-3/4 mile.  Now in the dust behind this mini stampede I hooted and hollered in my best ranch hand voice for them to get the hell off the trail so I could leave them alone but they must of interpreted this as "stay the trail and head for the barn".  They finally started to get off the trail as we came up on a cow convention of sorts with 10-15 more now startled giants and a few calves.  "Mama Cow is going to kill me... This is it, so long life. sure the vultures would have my bones polished before anyone found me" I thought.  And Mama Cow was pissed when she realized one calf was not by her and I was between them.  I slowed down.  Then I stopped when a large black bull gave me a couple less than comforting stares.  Just like that they sort of moved away and it was back to business as usual only my building lead over 3rd place had diminished significantly and the leader was long gone across the prairie.

Around mile 19-20 the course tipped gently upward and there were lots more rocks and sandy patches.  I started to consciously dial things back, attempting to save a bit for the last bigger and quite drawn out climb.  It, that dreaded climb, came and I re-passed the 2nd place dude who had passed me on a short gravel road section a few miles back.  We agreed that this fun little dash had quickly turned into a sufferfest and I didn't see him again.  Instead, the carnage hunters began to advance.  Only one caught up and I couldn't have been happier that it was Mike Tyler, also of Salem.  He's been killing races this Spring and I was content to let him by with words of encouragement.  We pretty much finished the thing like a x-country team happy to be pulling in some points for Salem's oft overlooked runners.  Eugene, Portland and Bend may be home of the famous and they certainly have better training grounds but we quietly jog the streets of our sleepy town (where people actually have bumper stickers reading: "Keep Salem Lame") to create racing machines of all makes and models.

While a gutsy looking start that fades to a less than powerful finish wasn't ideal I was quite happy when I finished the 32.54 (some had 32.9) mile course in 4:22.  That was still under my moderate (the decided pace for this run) goal time for the actual 31.1 mile distance.  The winner, Jeff Browning, had a solid 4:07 finish time on his training grounds.  Maybe I am kidding myself but I think with more experience and more suited training that's an attainable time for me in the future.

 
mile 32ish. photo: paul nelson!


I had a lot of fun out there in the open sky and expanse of rocks, sage, grass, wildflowers, sand, and cows.  It was a really nice change in scenery from the wooded muddy affairs I usually run.  I look forward to going back for some more running out there.

Post race:

Feeling really good.  Not banged up or overly tired.  A little tightness but nothing alarming.  Cooled off at Cline Falls on the way home and ate like a horse for the next 24 hrs.  I am full and resting just a couple days before summer's short races and speed sessions.  Yeehaw!

Oh notes:
Shoes/gear: Nike Terra Kiger-held up well.  I could see these getting hot but not a problem in this instance.  I also wore a hat and, for the first time, sunglasses.  I wore some throw-away shades that I got in a swag bag in case I decided that they were annoying or ridiculously un-stylish and I needed to leave them at an AS.  It wasn't overly bright but I'm sure my eyes appreciated my precaution given the lack of shade on the course.
Food: 4 Hammer gels-1 each hr., nursed them somewhat slowly.  4 s-caps (one at each AS except last one).  2 shots of Coca-Cola at AS #5.  Gut was funky all day putting anything in there was dangerous and at times a bit painful.

No comments:

Post a Comment