Saturday, June 22, 2013

Summer Solstice - 5k Recap

Got home from work at about 6:00 and Kattie gives me some options for the first summer evening of the year (trying to keep things within the 30 bones budget we had):

1. We run the local Salem Summer Solstice 5k at Minto Brown Park (what!?  we're going to race?! tonight?!  I'll put this wine back in the fridge...)
2. We go have drinks downtown with friends (not a bad idea given how Friday and the week in general went)
3. I race she doesn't and we drink less (worst option, by far)
4. We just go for a workout together and stay home ($0, most fiscally responsible option)

We agreed to option 1.  Within a few minutes we are in running clothes and frantically making the 5 minute drive over to the park.  I sign us up and we warm-up a bit.  10k-ers take off 5-10 minutes later than 7pm start time and 5 minutes later we're off.

I take a spot behind the lead pack of youths and one slightly older dude vowing to keep them in sight for awhile.  After a mile, I hear a yell from behind.  Shit, I missed the turn!  I turn back and ask where the course goes and a guy looks at me dumbfounded as I realize the chalk on the path indicates I was on the right path.  I take off again and the yeller (a good friend!) apologizes profusely.  Another 400 yrds. or so and the kid in front of me is lying in the grass so I hit the brakes a bit to investigate.  Other people (spectators) are there so I take off again.  I thought all those long trail events were complicated this 5k in the park business is whacky!

I motored along and closed in on #2.  I thought he'd do something about my presence but evidentally this youngster was already gassed out... it was an easy pass with a few words of encouragement to the lad.

#1 guy started looking back now and I was considerably far behind him.  As we got down to the the last mile along the river he began looking over his shoulder once every 30 seconds or so.  I closed in on him just a bit but I don't know what he was so worried about, he was safe the whole time.  I got a kick out of all the head turning though, made me wish I was closer to him when it started.

I held on to the pace through the finish and got a 17:41.  I had a old-timey sundae in my hand and mouth by minute 19:00 and it was awesome.

Kattie did well too with a 24:25.  Good enough for 2nd in her age group.  She was excited about going sub-8 pace.  I am proud of her!

We had a blast, it seems option 1 was the best decision we could have made!  A wonderful Friday night in the park, racing, with friends, ice cream and ribbons!  It's going to be a great summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment