Monday, March 4, 2013

an offering to the god of guts



For a long time now I've wanted to go down to Track Town (Eugene) and do a little running on the trails there and stop by Pre's Rock to make an offering to one of the sport's greatest legends.  Yesterday I was going to pick up KT at the airport there so I finally had my chance to make the pilgrimage to the site of the world of running's own folk saint's fatal crash.  It was moving and inspiring.

I was shorter on time than I'd hoped to be so the run was not going to happen.  But I had the perfect window of time to make it out the bluffs above the Willamette River just outside Hendricks Park.  I looped around a bit in search and finally found the Rock.  I pulled over and the dog and I walked to the shrine.  I'd brought a shoe (one of the blown out Montrails) that I'd been training and racing in lately and my 2nd place ribbon from Zena Road Runs 15k.  I placed it in front of the memorial stone amist a few other recent offerings: a NCAA medal, a couple folded up notes, fresh flowers (yellow and green of course).  I then read the plaque and sat there "taking it all in" for a few minutes.  Thinking about Pre's feats as an athlete and as a person.  I dwelled a bit longer on his gutsy style which I admire a bit more than most folks in the long distance/trail running crowd seem to.

A passing car broke the silence and with that I left.  It may sound corny but the place has a spiritual vibe to it.  I was glad I got to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment