Friday, June 1, 2012

1/2 year review: the numbers

Got the calculator out to see where I was at in my miles logged for the year so far... 

First a disclaimer:  I know I've missed an entry or two and I have had a tendency to round down workouts until I recently got a garmin watch.  I am so sorry decimals, you really do count.  You probably totalled up to be something significant and since my watch sees value in measuring you I'll now include you too!  I also don't count walking miles which thanks to Pete (the pup) have surely amounted to something significant this year.

That said, since the 12:00 AM Beer Mile on New Years Eve I've logged 692.1 miles.  I didn't want to get overly analytical about my running habits and it isn't about the numbers for me but I wanted to see where I was at in my initial goal to run 1200 miles (a 5k a day average) this year.  Turns out I may need to reevaluate things and raise the bar.

But like I said it isn't about numbers for me.  I've had a blast running each and everyone of these miles.  Sure some were more picturesque like the ones that crested the ridge in Sisters on a clear day exposing 5-6 glorious Cascade peaks and some were a bit less exciting like the laps around the track just a stone's throw from home when I swore off hills for a week trying not to aggrivate a sore Achilles.  Some were filled with glory like the last mile of my first Mac 50k and others were simply trudging along trying to get back home before getting soaked with snow and rain.  But they've all been instrumental in my quest for optimal endurance.

Summer's right around the corner and the best is yet to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment