Thursday, May 10, 2012

how to eat

talked to my coach about how to eat before and during a race.  these were his suggestions:

1.  Starting 2 days prior eat a lot.  Eat a big breakfast and continue to top off the tank throughout the day.  Complex carbs preferred over meats that require both more time and energy to break down.  This is helpful is building reserves in the muscles.
2.  1 day prior maintain usual diet with an emphasis on complex carbs.  Veggies, etc.
3.  Night before:  not necessarily a carbo-load feast like I used to back in H.S.  but a good solid dinner that won't leave me feeling like i am carrying a bunch of extra weight around during race.
4.  Morning of:  light breakfast, like a clif bar and banana or similar.
5.  During race:  gels every half hour.  water heavy, especially early on.  on warm/hot days s-caps every 1/2-1 hr.  electrolytes and whatever craving at later aid stations.

So...  I'll be carrying lots of water when i take off on Saturday and I'll have a pocket full of gels and s-caps.  if it doesn't work i'll adjust things until it does work.

who knew eating could be so complicated?

1 comment:

  1. p.s. this worked! all those "pre-fatigue-stick-to the-schedule" gels i had in the first hour or two had me feeling high as a kite. eventually my output (too strong) would catch up to me and despite continued religous consumption of salt and gels i would be passed by badasses until i fell into my deserved place. STILL, NO STOMACH ISSUES!!!

    ReplyDelete